an eye-witness account of our amazing family adventures

8.26.2007

Meet Clay

Clayton Grant is our second born child. I would like to take this opportunity to introduce you to this lovable, easygoing little one year old...


He was born June 12th, 2006 at H.M.C. in Abilene, Texas. In my third trimester we discovered that Clay was breech, so the waiting game began, would he turn in time? He did not turn on his own, so two weeks before his due date we decided, with the council of our doctor, to try to turn him around and induce labor. There was obvious concern that if I went into labor naturally, there were many health risks to me and Clay. So,we moved into our new house (that we were in the process of remodeling) June 10th and reported to the hospital early June 12th. The turning of the baby was successful, the doctor broke my water and ordered potossin to get labor started.

-As a side note: I would like to say that going into labor naturally is so much easier than being induced! With Owen, I could have gone without an epidural. With Clay, I was begging for an epidural. I liken the use of potossin to being slammed into a brick wall without reprieve. It is amazing how much easier labor is when God has prepared your body for it. What a miracle the entire process and function is!-

Anyway, labor progressed for a few hours. It seemed that all was well until Clay decided he would stick his foot up against his head in the birth canal. I guess it was his last ditch effort to just stay in there forever (we joked that he must be such a mama's boy that he was determined to stay in there forever, luckily he really isn't!). Of course, there were several medical concerns surrounding this new development. It was ultimately decided that an emergency c-section should be performed and Clay arrived safely very soon after that decision was made.


He was a healthy and beautiful baby boy! Our second son! And, Owen's new playmate. We thank God for, once again, watching over and protecting mommy and baby! We had another long stay at H.M.C. afterwards, but it was even more enjoyable than the first because we knew what to ask for and what to expect. Once again, the staff was wonderful and very helpful.

Zach, Owen (18mo.) & Baby Clay

Other facts about Clay:

Clay has been jovial and easy going since day one


He loves hats

He has a very advanced sense of humor


He needs his "beauty sleep" (like his mama!)

He is a cuddle bug
(He will still let me hold & rock him for a bit)


He loves to do anything that "Bubba" does

He has a fast growing vocabulary, including:
Da-da, Mama (which was his first!), Taaa-tehr (tractor), Bath, Wa-wa (water), Puh-puh (puppy), Bubba, Fruit, Bud (Zach's dad), Ball, Bye-bye, Me, Hat, More (when I tried to teach him the sign for more he looked straight at me and said the word more! Okay son, I guess that will do...), Mil (milk), Hi (said with a drawl, of course), Pie (pipe is what we call pacifiers at our house), Whoa! and Bay-bee (which refers to whomever mommy is holding at the moment)


He has a VERY hearty appetite

He loves music and will "dance".
("If you're happy and you know it" is his favorite song, he claps all the way through it.)


He is ALL BOY!
(He already giggles when he burps, is that born in them?!)


We are so blessed to have Clay as a member of our family. He and Owen are different in so many ways, but definitely complement each other as well. It amazes me how many things come much easier to the second born, simply because they do not have to work through basic ideas for themselves. Where Owen had to think through a challenge, explore his options and execute his strategy (with many failures), Clay simply watches Owen demonstrate a learned skill and copies the tried and true strategy demonstrated by his older brother (many times adding his own flair, of course). I have grown so much as a person through being a mommy and the Lord just keeps on teaching me valuable lessons through our precious boys. As I watch Clay playing I am overwhelmed by the immeasurable joy that he brings to our home. His laid back, joyful and exuberant spirit is a daily encouragement to me. Once again, I am soberly reminded of what a gift it is that I get to remain with my children throughout every day and experience each moment filled with milestones which seem to be so fleeting.

1 comment:

Mary Kay said...

Two precious gifts from God! He is perfect in every way...well okay maybe not in the vocabulary area...after all we need to add a Honey to that list! :) No, its only fair that Bud get to be first...after all he missed the birth of Clay so it's only right! We love both of these boys so much...thanks for raising them in the Lord! Love- Honey