an eye-witness account of our amazing family adventures

7.15.2007

The "7 year itch"...

Someone asked me recently if I was feeling the "7 year itch". Who came up with the theory of the "7 year itch"? I have read that more couples get divorced, bored or selfishly motivated to follow their own desires instead of doing what is best for their marital relationship (okay, so that last one has a bit of my flair added to it) around the 7 year mark, is that where the saying comes from? Well, all I know is that the number 7 holds a wonderful meaning for us today with none of the aforementioned selfishly motivated tragedies! Truth be told, I guess I am feeling a few itches, but I'm sure they aren't coming from my marriage, they most likely have been caused by the mass hatching of mosquitoes in my backyard or the strange effects of pregnancy or it could just be allergies. Anyway, today I am looking past all of my superficial itches and stepping back in amazement of what God has done throughout our 7 years together...

Happy Anniversary to us!
What a wonderful 7 years it has been!
(Without any unsuperficial itches)

Zach and I always play a game on our anniversary. We call it "count your many blessings". The idea was inspired by an old hymn we have grown up singing, but I believe the words mean more to us with each passing year. The words are a constant reminder that we must not get discouraged or caught up in the everyday struggles because God is guiding us through those to lead us to an amazing reward.
_____

I am sure you are all familiar with the hymn,
Count your blessings
by Johnson Oatman Jr. :

When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will keep singing as the days go by.

When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold;
Count your many blessings. Wealth can never buy
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.

So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
Do not be disheartened, God is over all;
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.
_____

The rules of our game are pretty simple, though it can be a hard game to play. We have to agree on our greatest blessings within each year. This year we are bumping up to counting 7 of our greatest blessings in honor of our 7th year of marriage.

A special praise always goes to our Heavenly Father who has showered so many blessing upon us that we could not ever count them all, including a wonderful friendship/marriage, a home (not just a house), our precious children, family and friends who support and encourage our love to grow deeper with each passing year.

3 comments:

Kim W. said...

Aren't you sweet...! I love the post...and the song, for that matter. I will not be able to sign that song now without thinking of you! :) And I LOVE that song...and I love you! Happy Anniversary to yall!

Angela Robinson said...

Happy (belated) anniversary! Great post, and I love the idea of the Blessings game. No 7-year-itches here, either!

Mary Kay said...

These past seven years have been a huge blessing to our family! We are so thankful that God created such a perfect mate for Zach. We prayed for you, Meg, from the time Zach was a tiny (well...he was never that tiny) baby! You are not only the answer to our prayers but a perfect example of how God gives us so much more than we even know to ask for! Thank you for the example the two of you are for your children, family and friends. We love you so very much! Mom and Dad Knight